Tiling a bathroom is one of the trickiest DIY jobs around and while it is always advisable to call in the experts when undertaking such a big job there are tips to follow if you feel like you can go it alone.
House and Home magazine, Ireland’s best selling interiors title advises the following:
- Glazed ceramic or porcelain tiles are the best to use in a bathroom as they are easiest to install, easy to clean and all tiling shops offer a vast range of colours and styles for you to choose from.
- Before you start ensure that the surface to be tiled is solid, smooth, level and free form all dust and grit.
- It is imperative that you use the correct adhesive when tiling, a waterproof one is the right choice for a bathroom.
- It is recommended by the experts that when tiling yourself you use spacers, remove them all before you start grouting.
- Start the tiling from the centre line of the bathroom using a baton for support.
- Finally leave the tiles overnight before you start grouting and then in then finish the job by applying the grouting with a squeegee.