Keeping household bills low is a priority for everyone these days, especially for housemates who rent a property together. Most of us have heard the standard tips by now, like “reduce the central heating by one degree”; “wash at 35 degrees” and “boil only the amount of water you need in the kettle”.
Here are … a few more that will help get the bills down:
- Wash clothes by hand to save on washing machine costs
- During cold weather, after using your oven, turn it off and open the door, allowing the heat to help warm the room.
- Turn off your dishwasher before the dry cycle and let the dishes air dry.
- Wear more layers instead of turning on the heaters around the house
- Use fabric conditioner so you don”t need to iron your clothes and only iron the essentials in bulk (no more ironing tea towels, socks & jocks – if you were crazy enough to do that in the first place!)