Rent Relief

Rent Relief

How much rent relief are you entitled to? The good news is that tax relief at the standard rate of 20% on private rented accommodation stays put through 2009. That means if you are a singleton under the age of 55 and pay €2000 or over a year for private rented accommodation, you get €400 back (€2000 x 20% = €400).

All you … need to do to claim your rent relief is to fill in the Rent Relief for Private Rented Accommodation Form which you can pick up at your local tax office or download from the Revenue Website. Then get it to the tax office by hand or mail.

If you have any difficulty completing the form, supplying any of the information requested or understanding which tax allowance is the right one for you (it”s different if you”re not a singleton under 55, for example) talk to the staff in your Local Tax Office.

There are 4 comments for this article
  1. Keith Elliott at 10:15 am

    Can you get some sort of relief if you live at home with your parents but pay them a rent contribution each month. I know someone who got rent allowance/grant money the whole way through college even though they lived at home with their parents.

  2. Jhoana at 2:58 pm

    however it was less in previous years , 360 in 2008 i believe…

  3. Peter G. at 3:17 pm

    you can also claim it as far as 3 tax years back

  4. Daniel at 2:20 pm

    it’s bit silly though, everyone pays way more than €2k rent a year… There should be similar tax relief available as on the mortgages…

Leave a Reply