In a time when tenants hold the upper hand, it would be very easy to choose the first tenant that comes along. This is only a short term solution to what could possibly be a long term problem. It’s better to be cautious and this will pay dividends in the long run. Prospective tenants should be able to pay the agreed … rent in full and on-time. This is the key to protecting your investment. But how do you know that you can trust potential tenants?
- Check references in full. Don’t just take a written reference as gospel.
- Ask for telephone numbers and speak to previous landlords and current employers.
- You need to make sure they will respect your property and that they haven”t been kicked out of their last place for having nightly parties into the early hours.
- Saying that, you need to act quickly as most tenants will have a lot of options available to them.
- Putting everything on paper and keeping everything above board will protect both you and your tenant.