Winter generally tests out a home like never before. There’s a fear of burst pipes, heating being lost and much more. So here’s a few tips on how to protect your home this winter:
- Chimneys – Ensure they are swept once a year by a professional chimney sweep, ideally before you start using the fire.
- Smoke Alarms – Check that smoke alarms are fitted and that they are all working properly. Replace batteries as necessary.
- Insulation – Ensure water pipes and the water tanks are lagged and insulated.
- Heating – Keep heating on if you are going away – on a minimum of 15 degrees. It’s sensible to open the loft hatch also, this allows air to circulate and helps to prevent pipes freezing and bursting in the loft.
- Boiler servicing – Ensure that gas and oil boilers are serviced every 12 months.
- If the property is to be empty for an extended period it is sensible to have the heating/water system drained down by a qualified contractor.