As part of the Government’s response to the mortgage crisis, the Citizens Information Board (CIB) was asked to establish the Mortgage Arrears Information Helpline to provide information and signposting in relation to the Code of Conduct on Mortgage Arrears and the supports available for those in mortgage arrears or pre-arrears.
The helpline was launched on August 1st 2012 and is being promoted in conjunction with the keepingyourhome.ie website, which has been designated by Government as the key online resource for general mortgage information.
The Mortgage Arrears Information Helpline will offer independent, confidential and high-quality information to borrowers in mortgage arrears or at pre-arrears stage:
It operates Monday to Friday from 9.30am – 5pm and the number is 0761 07 4050.
The helpline is being provided for callers with mortgages on residential property only. It is targeted at people who have not so far taken any action to address their difficulties, for example, by approaching the lender.
The helpline can provide information to mortgage holders on:
- Existing mortgage solutions/alternative repayment arrangements
- The availability of relevant State supports and the relevant documentation required.
- Dedicated arrears contact points of mortgage lenders
- A lender’s appeal process, or it can direct you to where this information can be located
- The right to appeal a lender’s decision to the Financial Services Ombudsman.